Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Moroccan Spices Mix - a little some Zing!

Also this was one of the night I would typically be looking forward to. It was when our group of friends from university gathered over at one of our friend's place whenever she came back to Bangkok. Best part of all that we might not have realized, it has been 20 years already that we known each other. Time flies, isn't it. Though this trip was slightly different as our lovely host, she actually moved back to Bangkok for good along with her husband and (not so) little kitty.
Like every time, we would do it in a pot luck style, everybody brings a little something to share. Though the high light of the night would be my friend's home cooked meal that we are all always looking forward to. Myself is one great admirer of her home cook. The other night she happily fed us with chicken stew and couscous that was quickly whipped up after returning from her busy day. In my opinion, couscous can be a little too dry at time but because it was served with a more soupy base dish so it was just perfect together.

Now here I am, back at home remaking the dish inspired by my lovely friend in my own version. I want to as a little something to it hence the main discovery here was how to make a Moroccan spice mixture in your own kitchen. I started by looking up spice ingredients and portion. There are more than 10 different ingredients in it. Yes, wow! So I tired mixing them up in small portion and trying them out. Most of recipes call for cumin. I love cumin but when I used it in the mixture it gave out too strong of smell that reminded me too much of Indian food. So I excluded it out. Below was the proportion I used and pretty happy with it. The measures indicated refer to the ground spices.
You can try making them. They could be kept in and airtight jar for several months. Though if you come up with your own version, or to share how you like the mixture or might not..I would love to hear from you :)

Moroccan spices mix
Moroccan Spice Mix

Ingredients :
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cardamon
1 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon anise seed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin ( optional )

Directions:
Mix them well, enjoy the smell. Use as need. Keep the rest the mixture in an airtight container and can be stored for couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment